Sunday, May 18, 2008

I raise my glass to life!

May 18, 2008

Once again my fingers begin to type at my laptop. Once again I have thoughts to share…though those occur quite frequently. J However, this may perhaps be the final time I have to share with you before I return to the States. We are moving to Chatchensago tomorrow and I am unsure of what the internet status will be. Rest assured, I will probably still be writing thoughts down but I don’t know exactly when I will be able to post said thoughts. ;)

It has been hard beginning to say my “good-byes” or rather “see you soon’s” I’ve discovered that the word good-bye is so hard to say. So I say “see you soon” in lieu of it. It helps a bit. I had my language check this week for module 1-yay I met my goal!-which went all right. I was encouraged that I knew a lot for how many lessons I had and yes there is definite work needed to be done on tones, sentence structure and certain sounds-but I can continue polishing and working on that without a doubt. After the check on Friday, I had to say good-bye to my teachers-Khruu Toom, Khruu Awd, and Khruu Wan. That was rough. I gave all of them hugs and thanked them for their friendship. In Thai culture it is considered culturally inappropriate to “lose face”. I was trying so hard not too-I didn’t cry or anything but I have a feeling my face betrayed a bit of what I was feeling. My one teacher, Khruu Toom told me, “yes I will see you in two years—with two people. (meaning I have to get married). If you don’t come back with two people, I don’t want to see you.” J that made me laugh. Even though I only had the chance to get to know them a little bit I have been blessed by my teachers and am so grateful for them all.

I have had many joyful moments this week-and so many more faces added to the pictures in my head. There is this one little boy, I think about 2, who with his mom, is sitting usually right outside 7-11 the time of day I go in to get a drink to go with lunch. Well, his mom has taught him to “wai” (the thai way of greeting) me every time he sees me. This last time, on Friday, I was absorbed in getting my bike’s kickstand to stay down and I heard someone persistently making noises as if they wanted to be heard-like a little kid noise. I looked up, and to be sure, there was my little friend, waiing me. J I smiled back and said hello. I love how this smile just breaks out over his face when I smile back. Its like sunlight coming out!

Riding home from school, I always see this one elderly woman pushing a usually empty cart on the side of the road. She is so petite and small. Her skin is darkened by the sun, she wears a big brimmed hat and her smile lines are etched into her face. Every day I pass her we smile at each other. Joy is present in this woman.

I said good-bye to my friend the fruit-seller today as well. He asked when I was coming back to Thailand and I told him I hoped in about 2 years but I didn’t know for sure. And then I think he said something along the lines that he would not forget me whether I was in Thailand or in America and that he hoped I would come back. Such a sweet and gentle man. I think he has enjoyed teaching me Thai-and even though I don’t understand all of our conversations, I have enjoyed beginning to understand more. It has been a delight.

For the last time today, I biked down and went to my favorite spot by the river. I had decided in lieu of attending the church service, I would take a bit of a personal retreat with God and am so grateful I did. I didn’t see my puppy which saddened me, yet I will always remember Annie and have been grateful for her puppy friendship. When I got there, I met a security guard from across the way. He came over to give me a piece of newspaper to sit on so I wouldn’t get scratched by the weeds. Very thoughtful of him. We chatted for a bit and I discovered that he wanted to learn more English. He wanted me to teach him but I couldn’t because I’m leaving tomorrow and then going back to the States in 2 weeks. He asked for my e-mail so we could e-mail in English and I gave one of them to him. We’ll see what happens with that. God bless him.

Sitting by the river this morning—such a delight and true moments of peace. There is something about meeting with God when I’m outside-always, ever since 8th grade or so, I’ve been able to meet with him differently outside. Its like when the walls of my room are the sky we are able to talk better—or perhaps I just listen more. I was reminded again of the verse “Be still and know that I am God.” Be still…rest in God’s presence. The fact that God invites us into his presence and wants to cherish us so much still astounds me. I think I am becoming aware of his grace more-not that I really understand it, but become more aware of its gentle presence. More and more God seems to be opening my eyes and my heart to live more…..

Socrates once said, “The unaware life is not worth living.” I think I agree with him. I think that the more aware we become the more we can live life to its fullest. Living with open hands….living a life of joy. Something to think about, hey?

No comments: