Wednesday, July 25, 2007

P.N.

There is always so much to do here and so much to process! :-) We are back in Phanat NiKoam (I probably spelled that wrong, abbreviated we call it P.N.) and have been teaching English quite often. I love it though. We go to different elementary schools and teach for a few hours with large groups of kids. We usually do some group games and then break into 3 different stations. My friends Des and Julie and myself work on leading songs. The Hokey Pokey is always a standard hit-even for the 12 year olds. It is so much to fun to see them get so excited and laugh when they understand or when we encourage them with a "good job". They smile so much here-and it is so genuine, not fake. That is something I truly cherish over here-is the sincerity of everyone. Yes, we have people who simply stop on the motorcycle and stare because we are farong or what have you, but for the most part poeple truly are genuine.

Something that was a bit harder today was our short, 10-15 minute visits and 3 different schools. I'm not sure what the purpose of those visits was, but perhaps to open the doors for Aun and Somchai to come back and work with those schools more. We were there such a short time that it felt like we really couldn't do anything. It felt very shallow because there didn't seem to be time to get to really know the kids. Even with 2 hours its hard but its better. At the first school, the kids wanted our signatures, like we were someone famous, but we really aren't. At the 2nd school they served us drinks and what not which is part of the culture but just did not feel right at all. It was really hard for me and I'm not sure why. Perhaps because it was hard to be real and authentic because time was so short. I wanted to stay and do something with the kids, or teach them something, but there just wasn't enough time. I guess I felt like I didn't give and maybe that was why it was so hard. I think I"m still processing....

Somehow I don't think I'm finished here. Des and I were talking a few nights ago and she doesn't feel like that either. Something we are contemplating is in 2 years or so, coming back, renting an apartment in Chonburi and teaching English. Its something we are both praying about. I think I need to be here for longer at some point, though I don't have a clear idea yet....I love the Thai people and the kids here, I just can't get enough of them. I'm praying about it.....and would appreciate your prayers as well. We'll see what it means...

I Next week is chuirch camp and then its home! hope to write again before I leave but if not I love you all and God bless you! Thank you so much for all your prayers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's nice to read about the joys you are epxeriencing there. still all praying for you, and have a safe trip back.